60th anniversary of the European Court of Justice
FROM VILLA VAUBAN TO KIRCHBERG
At the time of the creation of the European Community of Coal & Steel Court of Justice in 1952, the town of Luxembourg put the Villa Vauban at the disposition of the newly created institution in order to set up there the offices of the seven judges and two prosecuting lawyers.
At the end of the 1960s, following a decision to establish all European institutions on the Kirchberg plateau, it was decided to construct a new Court of Justice building which, from a functional and symbolic perspective, was fitting for the headquarters of its jurisdiction. Thus was born the Palace which opened in 1973. In the course of enlargement of the European Union and of the evolution of the needs of the institution, three extensions were built in 1988, 1993 and 1994. Subsequently, the complex was reviewed in order to create a new Palace around the structure preserved from 1973. This complex, made up of several buildings connected by a 300 meters long gallery, opened on 4 December 2008.
|Price of the stamp:||0,85 €|
|Conception and layout:||Zink & Kraemer AG, Trier (D)|
|Printing:||High-resolution offset in quadrichrome, bpost Stamps Production, Malines (B)|
|Dimensions:||35 x 35 mm, 10 stamps per sheet.|