Wenzel Circular Walk
Its name being a tribute to Duke Wenceslas II (1346 – 1419), the Wenzel circular walk is a cultural trail created in 1995. Its aim is to bring alive the character of the city of Luxembourg, both as it was in the Middle Ages and as it is today.
Spanning several centuries of history in one hundred minutes, this three-kilometre walk sets you on the trail of Luxembourg’s history. Here, a multicultural community gave rise to a city with its own very special identity. This journey back in time and space starts with the creation of the first urban centre at the Bock Promontory, and finishes on the ramparts, symbol of the city’s economic and military sovereignty. The trail is designed to be instructive, and is divided into about ten stages, each of them ending at a particular site selected for its architectural wealth and the historical importance of the representative features.
It was the reason for the improvement, in 1994, of the "Tower of Jacob" shown on the stamp, once known as the Dinselpforte (1428). The counterscarpment and walls, between two open towers, adjacent to the Tower of Jacob have also been restored with stones found in the ditch. This solid tower, between 1 and 1.5 m thick, which originally served as an entrance gate to the east of the town, was almost entirely destroyed by Vauban’s troops at the time of the 1684 siege.
Nowadays, part of the tower has been devoted to an audio-visual presentation for people walking the circular route, the other part being reserved for the European Institute for Cultural Itineraries.
Benefiting, as it does, from both natural beauty and cultural interest, the Wenzel circular walk has been declared an exemplary itinerary by the Council of Europe and a world heritage site by UNESCO.
|Design:||A. Tuma, Vienna; engraving: K. Leitgeb, Vienna|
|Printing process:||4 colours photogravure + 1 colour engraving; |
Österreichische Staatsdruckerei, Vienna;
|Format:||38,5 x 29,6 mm, 20 stamps per sheet;|