Providing a pleasant atmosphere and a time for contemplation, Christmas is an excellent moment to rediscover the magic of the present day. On this ”Christmas 2004” special postage stamp, the magic is heightened by the innocence of this youth choir and by the magnificence of the snow-covered surroundings.
One also sees here the Clervaux castle which sits regally above the town. The primitive castle was built at the start of the XIIth century. Property of the Vianden seigniorial family until 1315, then of the Meysenbourg line until 1406, it later belonged to the powerful Brandenbourg line who enlarged it with remarkable extensions such as the enormous Burgundy Tower housing the prison, the Brandenbourg Tower, the Pigeons Tower and the Sorcerers Tower. After a brief transfer to the Heu family from 1538 to 1567, then to the Eltz seigneurs until 1631, the Clervaux castle became the property of the Counts of Lannoy.
Situated in the Castle Park, the chapel was built in 1762. In 1884, the castle became the property of the Berlaymont family who abandoned it. In 1927, the castle and surroundings were acquired by a private individual at an auction. It was classified as an historic monument in 1935. In 1944, Germany artillery bombarded and completely destroyed this superb edifice. Immediately following the war, the Luxembourg state acquired the property and began a masterful restoration project.
Today, the castle houses the Museum of Fortified Luxembourg Castles, the Museum of the Ardennes Offensive and Edward Steichen’s famous photographic exhibition “Family of Man”; (see our issue of March 2004 in his honour).
|Price of the stamp:||0,50 € + 0,05 €|
|Design:||E. Kalmus, Luxembourg|
|Printing:||High-resolution offset by CARTOR SA, La Loupe (F)|
|Dimensions:||38.5 x 38 mm, 12 stamps per sheet|