Bridges and Viaducts of Luxembourg
Centenary of the Adolphe Bridge ("Nei Bréck")
The Adolphe Bridge in Luxembourg, also called the New Bridge, opened to traffic on 24 July 1903. Built during the reign of Grand Duke Adolphe, whose name it bears, this year it celebrates its one hundred years of existence.
When it was opened, this engineering project, built as an extension of Boulevard Royal to connect the western half of the upper city to the Bourbon Plateau and the central train station district, was the largest stone arch bridge ever constructed and was admired by engineers around the world.
A heterogeneous combination of classical concepts and reinforced concrete, the bridge, 153 m long, features a large double arch with a span of 85 m overhanging the Pétrusse valley 42 m below. It has become a symbol of the capital and is also at the heart of the celebrations for Luxembourg National Day when it is the venue for a traditional fireworks show.
|Price of the series:||1,93 €|
|Draw & engrav.:||Guillaume Broux (Malines, (B))|
|Printing:||combined engraving and multicolour photogravure by the Imprimerie du Timbre, Malines (B)|
|Size:||27.66 x 48 mm (stamp of 0,45 €) and 27.66 x 38.40 mm (stamps of 0,59 and 0,89 €)|