Centenary of the town of Esch-sur-Alzette
Referred to as early as 1128 by the name of “Asch” in a bull of Pope Honorius II, Esch-sur-Alzette acquired the status of “free town” on the initiative of John the Blind in 1328.
As a result of enemy incursions, repeated fires, and destruction of its fortifications, the city eventually lost its Town status during the French Revolution in July 1830 (the “July Revolution”). It was necessary to wait until 1841 to see the village of Esch-sur-Alzette rise from the ashes to become the capital of the canton of Esch.
Mining development in the 19th century gave the city its nickname “Métropole du fer” (“Iron metropolis”). This renewal of activity allowed Esch to regain its Town status on 29 May 1906 on the initiative of Grand Duke William IV. Industrial activity was brutally halted during World War I. After World War II, the Town developed rapidly before being severely affected by the progressive downturn in the iron and steel industry in the 1970s.
Once more, Esch-sur-Alzette has fortunately found the resources to restrengthen and reaffirm itself today more than ever as the second principal town of the country. A cosmopolitan town with 37% foreign residents, the town is not only a pleasant place to live, it is also a magnet on the economic and industrial front. This attraction will increase tenfold with the future management of undeveloped industrial lands. It is in this context that the town looks resolutely to the future by seeking to develop in an equitable and responsible manner its quality of life, economy, as well as its cultural and technological fabric.
This year Esch-sur-Alzette celebrates its centenary with different festive events, notably a socio-cultural exhibition “Esch-sur-Alzette from 1906 until today” in the “Cockerill” building, the grand centenary parade next May 27, as well as an academic meeting followed by a large public festival and a fireworks show on May 29, the day of the centenary.
|Price of the stamp:||0,50 €|
|Layout:||Binsfeld Conseils, Luxembourg-Bonnevoie|
|Printing:||Multicolored high-resolution offset by CARTOR SECURITY PRINT SA, La Loupe(F)|
|Dimensions:||34 x 34 mm, 10 stamps per sheet|