50 years of the Official Journal of the European Communities
On 18 April 1951, the "Six" (Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, and The Netherlands), signed the treaty forming the European Coal and Steel Community (CECA). On 30 December 1952, a special editon of the Official Journal of the European Coal and Steel Community (JO), 8 pages long, was published for the first time in four languages: German, French, Italian, and Dutch.
When the Treaties of Rome came into effect, the title of the Official Journal became Official Journal of the European Communities. The first issue published under this new name appeared on 6 October 1958. In 1969, a decision was made to bring to Luxembourg the Office of Official Publications of the European Communities, the publishing house of institutions and agencies of the European Union. Following a series of expansions of the European Union, new languages were added to the original four and the Official Journal is today the only publication in the world to appear each business day in eleven different languages.