75th anniversary of the electrification of Luxembourg
In 1928, the legislature entrusted the Compagnie Grand Ducale d’Electricité du Luxemburg (Cegedel), founded on 27 March 1928, with the mission of the general electrification of Luxembourg.
Cegedel committed to delivering electric current to the entire population and to guarantee a public maintenance and repair service at a reasonable price. This marked the end of a century of elitism during which electricity was essentially intended for electric motors and the lighting of the homes of only few customers. With the arrival of kitchen appliances and the development of post-war industrial applications, electricity experienced a great boom that made it a symbol of progress and of the modern age.
In the 1960s and 1970s, the need for electrical energy exploded, leading to important investments in the Cegedel network. Finally, the 1980s and 1990s brought new challenges - environmental protection and the opening up of electricity markets - which have led to new changes. Today, electricity is a daily necessity regulated by the law of supply and demand.
Once again, Cegedel is prepared to rise to the new challenge of the opening up of the Luxembourg market. Improvements and permanent expansion of the quality of its services will certainly contribute to satisfying the expectations of its customers in the energy sector just as it has done for customers in other parallel sectors.
|Denomination of the stamp:||"A" (franking for a letter in the first weight class mailed to an address in the |
|Design:||Norbert Fischels, Cegedel S.A.|
|Printing:||CARTOR SA, La Loupe (F)|
|Size:||30 x 40 mm|