Differdange (17,659 inhabitants, southwest of Luxembourg-Ville)
The Fontaine Marie of Differdange of the Order of Cîteaux Abbey, affiliated with Clairvaux (1235 - 1796) was founded by Alexandre de Soleuvre. The convent was dedicated to noble young women. The remaining building, depicted on the stamp, was built by Abbess Françoise de Gourcy (1719 - 1843). She had her coat of arms sculpted on the central fronton. After the suppression of the convent by French Republicans, the estate was purchased by a series of different affluent families. The town of Differdange bought the building in 1929 in order to set up a civil hospital. In 1981, the State acquired it and the hospital became a nursing home. The recent restoration of the old central area (1997 - 2000) gives to this old shell of a building all the splendour of yesteryear, all the nobility of its architecture.
|Price of the series:||4,00 €|
|Designs:||Jacques Doppée, Bruxelles (B)|
|Printing:||Multicolour offset by "The House Of Questa", Byfleet, Surrey (United Kingdom)|
|Dimensions:||40 x 30 mm, 20 stamps per sheet|