Located in the community of Wahl, hidden in a deep valley, is the smallest locality of the country which has, however, one of the most beautiful and oldest churches : Rindschleiden.
The church was built in the 10th century to honour all saints. It was only in the 16th century that it was consecrated to St. Willibrord. In the beginning, it was only a chapel of 5 x 10 metres which, starting in 1535, was enlarged several times so that it is now possible to see different styles.
At the time of its last restoration, the fl oor was arranged in a manner which allows one to see the foundations of the ancient chapel. Between the nave and the choir, a grill sunken in the ground allows one to see these historic foundation walls.
Frescos from the fi rst half of the 15th century which have an area of 170 m2 also attract attention. It was only in 1952 when they were rediscovered, removed and restored. Even though several frescos were quite defaced, it was still possible to recognize or determine the majority of scenes. These frescos were certainly not used merely for iconographic decoration, but allowed all, especially the illiterate, to understand important biblical scenes. The church is classifi ed as a national monument.
|Present price of the series :||1,50 €|
|Layout:||Advantage Communication, Luxembourg ( L );|
|Printing:||High-resolution offset by “Imprimerie du Timbre” Malines ( B );|
40,15 x 29,75 mm, 10 stamps per sheet.