The pigeon tower of “Birelerhaff" in Sandweiler
Constructed by Gonzelon de Lossignon in the 14th century, Birelerhaff and its pigeon tower today are tourist attractions that more than justify a short trip to Sandweiler. From 1378, until the arrival of French troops just after the French Revolution of 1789, this estate was in the possession of the monastery of Münster Abbey. The monastery exercised several rights and privileges in the area such as taxation; taxes could be paid in kind with crops which were then stored at Birelerhaff. In return, the land of the Birelerhaff estate guaranteed a supplemental income for several small farmers.
After 1789, the property changed hands several times before becoming, in 1900, the property of the family owning it today.A building emblematic of the estate and a registered historical monument since 2001, the pigeon tower is an imposing tower intended to provide protection to pigeons from martens and cats. This tower rises above a stone well which is 18 m deep and 3.5 m in diameter.
|Price of the series:||1,00 €|
|Designs:||Jacques Doppée, Bruxelles|
|Printing:||Offset with stochastic screen by the Imprimerie du Timbre, La Poste, Malines (B)|
|Dimensions:||28 x 38.40 mm, 10 stamps per sheet|