The municipality of Walferdange, celebrating the 150th anniversary of its creation on 25th November 2000, consists of the villages of Walferdange, Bereldange and Helmsange and is a developing residential centre with a total population of approximately 6,600 inhabitants.
Famous in the past for its rose cultivation, this community neighbouring the city of Luxembourg is situated in the valley of the Alzette, dominated on either side by wooded heights, on the main arterial road leading north.
The castle of Walferdange, the main facade of which is reproduced on its stamp, was built in 1825 and was turned into a royal residence under William II, King of the Netherlands and Grand Duke of Luxembourg.
Prince Henry of the Netherlands, Lieutenant to the King, Grand Duke William III, lived there from 1850. He died in the castle in 1819, after almost 30 years as lieutenant.
After having served various purposes (e.g. as the summer residence of Grand Duke Adolphe) and abandoned after the First World War, the castle was transformed in 1930 into a primary school mistresses' training college then, immediately after the liberation, was occupied by the American army and then the Luxembourg army. After undergoing more conversions, the buildings were taken over by the Institut Pedagogique in1967 and are today occupied by the 'Institut Superieur d'Etudes et de Recherches Pedagogiques (ISERP)'.
|Price of the series:||Current stamp value: 16 LUF, series of two stamps: 32LUF|
|Drawing:||Hélio Courvoisier SA, La Chaux-de-Fonds (CH)|
|Printing process:||Photogravure (5 colours per stamp) by Hélio Courvoisier SA, |
La Chaux-de-Fonds (CH)
|Format:||28 x 41,10 mm, 20 stamps per sheet|