Esch-sur-Alzette (27,186 inhabitants, second largest town of the country)
St. Joseph Church, depicted on the stamp, was consecrated on 14 May 1877 by Bishop Nicolas Adames. Built in neo-Gothic style, starting in March 1873, in accordance with the plans of architect Charles Arendt, the church of the Deanery of Esch has remarkable architectural beauty and is one of the reasons the building was classified as a "National Monument". In 1946 the entrance hall of the church was modified by adding a Memorial Chapel for victims of World War II. The interior of the church, completely renovated between 1997 and 2002, is richly decorated and presents many elements of great artistic value. The stained-glass windows (paintings on glass) created between 1881 and 1898 by a famous international workshop in Munich always enchant visitors with the beauty of their colours.
|Price of the series:||4,00 €|
|Designs:||Jacques Doppée, Bruxelles (B)|
|Printing:||Multicolour offset by "The House Of Questa", Byfleet, Surrey (United Kingdom)|
|Dimensions:||40 x 30 mm, 20 stamps per sheet|