400 years of the Athénée of Luxembourg
The Athénée of Luxembourg, founded in 1603 by the Jesuits, is the oldest secondary school in the Grand Duchy. Located years ago at the site of the present National Library, the "Kolléisch" offered education in the humanities with a focus on classical languages.
With the dissolution of the Jesuit Order in 1773, the Athénée became a public school and opened itself up to the sciences and mathematics. It took its present name in 1817, inspired by the city of Athens and its divine protectress, Athena, Goddess of Wisdom.
At the end of World War II, the great American influence of the time resulted in less emphasis on classical languages in favour of English. This led to an increase of the number of students at the Athénée and, in 1964, the school moved to the "Märeler Wisen", where a modern schoolhouse had been built.
Later, in 1968, student protests caused an education reform and the creation of a modern curriculum alongside the classical one. Meanwhile, it was not until 1970 that the Athénée, until then restricted to boys, began accepting girls as well.
Nowadays, the Athénée is one of nine classical secondary schools in the country. Its 200 teachers continue to communicate to 1,300 students - including 200 non-Luxembourg citizens - the values of the humanities, faithful to the motto "Innovation and tradition". To celebrate its 400 years of existence, a full programme of festivities has been planned by the staff and students of the "Kolléisch"
|Price of the stamp:||0,45 €|
|Design:||K.Neurohr, student at the "Kolléisch"|
|Printing:||Multicoloured offset by "De La Rue", Byfleet, Surrey (United Kingdom)|
|Size:||40.64 x 31.75 mm, 20 stamps per sheet|