Tourism series 2001
Schifflange is a pleasant community located in the south of the Grand Duchy. The commune of Schifflange today has a population of 7596 people.
Our postage stamp depicts a building from pre-industrial times: the "Bestgensmillen" (Bestgen Mill) built around 1803 by Nicolas Olinger, a farmer from Lallange. The mill was powered by the water of the Alzette and was in operation until the 1930s. During World War II, it was used once again but was finally shut down in 1947. The buildings then served as agricultural warehouses.
In 1984, the State became owner of the mill by a donation, and the National Cultural Foundation decided to make the buildings available to the "Social Activity for Young People" organization. Together, the Ministries of Housing and of Culture as well as the Commune of Schifflange contributed to the complete restoration of the mill. Since 1994, the complex has provided 16 individual rooms, a common kitchen, as well as a laundry, workshops, and offices. A cultural center there is available to local associations and a restaurant supports the social activity at the "Bestgensmillen".
|Series price:||36 LUF|
|Printing process:||Photogravure in five colours by Hélio Courvoisier S.A., Chaux-de-Fonds (Switzerland)|
|Format:||41.10 x 28 mm, 20 stamps per sheet|